Friday, April 11, 2014

The Mysterious Rash: Part 1

This is going to be a personal post,and medical in nature.Consider that a forewarning.

     Two weeks after I arrived in India from the United States of America, I have had a mysterious rash, and it has been an adventure in and of itself.I began getting very itchy everywhere, and would get red from all of the scratching. Small bug sized bumps were all over my body, and so for over a week I thought the it was just a horrific case of mosquitoes bites. About a week and a half later this impression quickly disappeared.

     While sitting in the room I share with my fellow Alliance student roommate I thought I was having a horrible allergic reaction because I started coughing and my throat was getting tight and itchy. I drank a bunch of water, and scared began to feel mildly panicked.  My roommate helped me out, she made some phone calls, but when that failed we tried knocking on our neighbor's door. She wasn't home, but some of the neighborhood children we play with saw us. We all returned to the apartment. One of the children, who was horribly distressed that I was unwell, was so concerned that he went to fetch their grandmother who has worked as a nurse for years. She came and unofficially diagnosed me with"acidity." A few minutes later my host mother and an Alliance staff member knocked on my door- they had gotten my roommate's voice-mail messages. A doctor was called and acidity was confirmed as the likely culprit. Medicines were gotten. Yet, I had gone to another doctor just two days before because I was also suffering digestive problems, and was already taking medicine.

     I just obliged, and the medicines knocked me out. After a good long sleep I felt a little better but needed to know what "acidity" was. In short, too much spicy food, eating too late at night, not getting enough exercise, and waiting too long in between meals causes the acids in the stomach to overproduce and this can cause both the rash and the stomach problems. I kept my diet more or the same, and still felt horrible. I visited the same doctor two more times, was given more medicine and now told I might just be allergic to something, and so should restrict my diet. I did all of this to no avail. I decided I might want to stop eating so much spicy food, and so I went out bought some food and prepared my own lunches. This didn't stop the itch. At this point my itch was so bad everyone knew about my situation because I was itching myself so much. I was desperate for an answer as to why I was so itchy and how I can stop it.


       -    -      -     -     -    To be Continued    -     -     -   -   -     -

No comments:

Post a Comment